Monday, January 7, 2013

Twas the Night Before Break's End

Twas the night before break’s end, when all through our pad
not a preschooler was stirring … it was 8:05 … not bad!
The school bags were hung by the back door with care
in hopes that mom won’t forget snacks to prepare.

The children were half hanging off of their beds
While visions of the playground danced in their heads
And daddy with his beer, and I with my nightcap
had just settled down after a
long day of crap.

When from the second floor there arose such a clatter,
I said, “What the hell? What IS the matter?”
Up the flight of stairs I flew like a flash,
tore open the bathroom door and … crash.

The moon from my son with his pants pulled down low
stared at me when I caught him having to go.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But my daughter with her lovie covered in tears.

Seeing my daughter was about to get sick,
I said, “Daddy, you better get up here and quick.”
More rapid than eagles her dinner it came,
and she hurled and coughed and I cried, “Who’s to blame?”

This holiday break has broken me bad
Why couldn’t this have happened last week like her dad?
To top it all off, it’s all over the wall,
all over the floor, all over the hall.

We’ve spent every second of every day
Three weeks together and we liked it that way.
But as school is ready to start once again
I counted on our schedule resuming as planned.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard by my side
my husband with towels and spray and Tide.
As I wiped off her face and was turning around,
up comes my son’s dinner with a horrible sound.

He was covered in puke, from his head to his feet,
and his clothes were stained from food we forced him to eat.
A moment at dinner we wish we could have back,
Why didn’t we, for once, just cut him some slack?

His eyes – filled with tears, how sickly, how wary,
Her cheeks were like roses, her fever was scary!
His poor little hands were shaking below,
Her knees were too weak; she was moving so slow.

We leaned them over the sink to brush their teeth
And the stench encircled our heads like a wreath;
We looked at the floor, we looked at their bellies
Then we thought, “We shouldn’t have given them jelly.”

They were naked in the tub, those two kids of mine
And I laughed when I realized they were going to be fine.
The fight in their eyes and the cooling of their heads,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

I spoke not a word, but went straight to my work,
And cleaned up the kids; then turned with a jerk.
And pinching his fingers aside of his nose,
My husband scrubbed and deodorized with rose.

We sprang to our beds, this time with pails on the floor
Who had a crappy day? Well, we’re not keeping score.
But I sure know one thing as I turn out the lights
This break ain’t close to over … not after this night!
For more Crap, Like me at www.facebook.com/crapnoonetellsyou or enter your email in the top right corner of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment